Interview Questions for Marketing Positions3 min readReading Time: 2 minutes
After spending years outsourcing all areas of their marketing, companies are refocusing their efforts to build a strong internal marketing team. These organizations have understood that the best way to drive their marketing strategy is someone who knows the company and brand personally. To hire a dedicated marketing expert it is important to select the correct interview questions to determine the skills and experience of your candidates.
Learn how to assess conscientiousness.
What Traits to Look for in Marketing Professionals
When interviewing marketing professionals, you want to pay special attention to candidates that exhibit creativity and persuasiveness in addition to possessing strong organizational skills and analytical ability. The ideal candidate will also be versed in data collection and analysis, and have excellent decision-making skills.
Best Questions to Ask When Interviewing for a Marketing Position
- How did you get started in your career?
- Tell me why you are passionate about marketing?
- Explain in what ways your skillset has grown over time.
- What skills are you yet to acquire but would love to?
- How did you hear about this position?
- What do you know about our company?
- Tell me why you are leaving your current position.
- What keeps you motivated to succeed in your job?
- Tell me what you consider to be your strengths?
- What are your favourite blogs and publications?
- Tell me about the last book you read.
- Who is a marketer you look up to? Why do you look up to them?
- Tell me what you think is the goal of marketing.
- If you had to improve X Metric by Y% by (a certain date), how would you go about achieving this goal?
Marketing Assistant Interview Questions
- What are some of the marketing projects you’ve worked on and what was the role you played?
- What do you like about our recent marketing efforts, and what would you change?
- Tell me about a time you received criticism. How did you handle it?
- Tell me how you go about handling several projects at the same time.
- Tell me what kind of buyers our goods/services attract. What ways do you suggest are the best to reach them? On which current trends do you base your suggestions?
Marketing Manager Interview Questions
- Tell us about a marketing brief you developed for a past marketing project
- Tell us about a time when you had to manage and coordinate a diverse team of people for a marketing project.
- Tell us about a time when you had to work with a tight budget to achieve a marketing goal.
- Tell us about the digital marketing tools you used in your last campaign.
- Tell me about a campaign that did not pan out as planned.
- Talk about a marketing campaign that you completed on time and under budget.
- Tell me a situation on the job that required you to think creatively and innovatively to resolve.
- What factors do you think are the most important when it comes to influencing consumer behaviour and choices?
- In your opinion, what are the biggest challenges that marketers face today?
- What are the 5 ingredients necessary for a winning marketing campaign?
Digital Marketing Interview Questions
- In your own words, what is digital marketing?
- What are the main areas in which using a keyword can maximize SEO?
- Tell me what the primary models are for determining pay-per-click.
- What should an effective PPC ad be?
- What is an effective strategy for successful PPC campaigns?
- List a few useful online marketing tools.
- What are off-page and on-page optimization?
- What are the main characteristics of a low-quality backlink?